Monday, November 21, 2011

New Chapter

This is when it really sinks in that a new chapter in your life is beginning. I am leaving Good Samaritan Hospital this morning for the last time. I have been coming to work here for the last nine years with only two short maternity breaks. I was a student here 10 years ago this coming February. This is definitely bittersweet. I'm sure everyone who works at a hospital has many grievances about faulty processes, out-of-touch administration, and other things surrounding the chaos that is a hospital, but at the end it feels like a family. People come to this place everyday and continue to meet the challenge of taking care of patients, but they are comforted by their colleagues who understand. Medicine continually battles the conflict of too many patients and not enough providers, patients who destroy their own bodies with bad habits as well as those that were dealt a bad genetic hand, a plethora of pharmacy and expensive tests, and the age-old question of, "Who is going to pay for all this?" Even with all that, I feel blessed to be part of the medical community. It will continue to be part of my life, and I wonder what direction it will take in the near future.

We are now at 13 days and counting until we leave the country. Nerves are still jumpy with the upcoming moves scheduled to start tomorrow. There is much to do! Hopefully, tomorrow I can report on a successful first shipment out of the house and underway.

No comments:

Post a Comment