Saturday, February 4, 2012

Just a little Craziness

I write now from Fussen, Germany. The snow has stopped for now. It is -1 degrees F outside. I have stopped here enroute to Kaiserslautern, Germany for a week-long training class. It's a 500+ mile drive from Vicenza to Kaiserslautern and I would have gotten much further were it not for the fact that the "Millenium Falcon" (our newly purchased 1997 BMW "autostrada car") took a big dump on me. What I mean by that is that when I stopped to cap-off with fuel in Bolzano, before crossing into Austria and Germany, I noticed at that gas station that there was smoke coming from under the car. Upon further inspection, one could see all of the oil dripping freely from the entire undercarriage of the car. Not good. It's been an interesting last few hours.
The Italian gas station attendant called the tow truck. The tow druck arrived 45 minutes later and hauled me and the MF away. Of course, we had to drive 10km further North on the Autostrada in order to exit, do a U-turn, and drive 30 km back South to an mechanic's shop in Bolzano. But, of course, it's Saturday, and no Italian mechanics work on Saturday afternoon, much less Sunday. So Plan B was to hitch a ride with the tow truck driver, Domenica, to a rental car agency that so thankfully was open. Domenica, the tow truck driver, should be a stockcar racer. That guy has been playing way too many video games and clearly is not separating fiction from reality. That was the most nerve-racking car ride I can ever recall being on, including the relatively placid test drive we took when we were buying the Millenium Falcon. I don't know how many G's Domenica was pulling going around those rotunda, and I don't know how often he checks or replaces his brakes, but I do know that I heard some Italian words that are NOT taught in most classrooms and I do know that I wish I had taken some Dramamine before that car ride.
In all the haste and confusion, I left the GPS, road maps, and all of my CDs in the BMW. I was now driving an Italian rental car, across the Austrian/German Alps, in the dark, with snow falling, with what I assume were sheer cliffs on all sides even though I couldn't really see too well and kind of just pretended the dropoffs weren't there, with no maps or GPS, driving along the switchbacks and very steep up/down slopes, passing more than one car accidents that had happened within the hour, can't even remember the last time I have driven a manual transmission car, with nonfunctional window washers, not really even knowing where I was or where I was going....I was driving on Faith I tell you. "Use the Force, Luke!" Turn off the infared visor, close the eyes, and use the force I did.
Fussen appears to be a wonderful town - classic oldtown Bavarian type deal. It kind of reminds me of Kitzbuhl, or even Villach (where we went on our way to Salzburg this Christmas). I think it would be even nicer if there were more people around, walking the streets and such. But being that it is colder than a witch's {milkshake} right now, there aren't many people out and about. I may try to see a little during the daylight tomorrow, because it is supposed to warm up to a high of 15 F here tomorrow.
It may be a bit sacrilege, but I ate at an Asian restaraunt tonight. And oh my Good Golly was it good. After a challenging day, and I've really only written about half of it, I am very thankful to have found a good hotel room and to have had such a good dinner. Hot, hot, hot lemon grass and shrimp soup, and a crispy duck deal served with rice and fantastic vegetables, with this coconut cream sauce deal. Bam! Couple of glasses of good red wine, a little baked bananas with honey and ice cream for dessert - I'm feeling better, fo so'!

No comments:

Post a Comment